Ikeda House

Recommend: Recommend
Liouguei District

Occasional showers(Liouguei District)


Google Reviews
107 reviews
Read the following for how to use your keyboard to browse the album:
  • Up:Show photo menu
  • Down:Hide photo menu
  • Left:Last photo
  • Right:Next photo
  • ESC:Leave album
  • Old time Bus station ticket office Ikeda House Old time pictures of a female bus attendant The drivers’ rest area at the old bus station will be open to the public during events. Rear of the old bus station

    Ikeda House

Located at No. 38, Huanan Street in Kaohsiung County, the Ikeda House is the former Liugui station from the Kaohsiung Bus company. Its Japanese name comes from its days spent as a hotel operated by Ikeda Hyotaro. As Liugui station, the Ikeda House was a transportation hub for hillside residents from Liugui, Maolin, and Taoyuan to the city.

Formed by three one-story buildings, this U-shaped compound has retained its original architectural design to this day, making it a rare Japanese hotel-style building and earning its mark as a historic landmark in 2003. After historical and cultural restorations, this old building can continue to tell its story to the world.

Visitors are encouraged to spend approximately 1 hour here to take pictures and to understand its changes throughout the years via signs and old pictures on its walls. 

Ikeda House
4.1 4stars 107 reviews
Silvia Cheng
4stars 10 months ago

The revitalization of the old street combined with the Catholic Church’s Hongtianyuan’s business name Tianmangong (imaging map) and other attractions. Take a leisurely stroll. It was originally built for the development of forest products in Japan during the Japanese occupation era. After that, it was transferred from Liugui Township Office to undertake Kaohsiung Passenger Transport and changed to Liugui Transfer Station. Liuguiren has the best traffic point of entry and exit. The memory of Liuguiren has a complete Japanese-style building. The original door, tatami board, cabinet, toilet, bathroom, changed waiting room, ticket gate, boarding and exiting are currently managed by Changrong University

4stars a year ago

I was passing by Liugui Old Street and saw this Japanese-style building, so I walked in and wanted to visit it, but it didn't seem to feel open! Most of the interior furnishings are empty, except for the iron plate logo of Kaohsiung Passenger Transport. Is it not open for tours on weekdays or is it still in preparation? Kaohsiung Liugui District Office Global Information Network: In order to develop the camphor industry, the Japanese strictly controlled the camphor forest lands across Taiwan. In order to effectively isolate and expel these "Tibet people" as they called them, the Japanese deployed additional police forces and a large number of Japanese people came in and out. The main function of Ikeda House is to receive guests. Foreign Japanese and military troops were stationed there or used as dormitories for Japanese police. Ikeda House was the only guest house and resting place for the military police when the plains entered the Liugui Mountain Tribe. It has a very important historical significance in the development history of mountainous areas in Kaohsiung County during the Japanese occupation.

4stars 7 months ago

In December of the 15th year of Taisho (1926), the camphor industry in the Rokugame area declined, and the "camphor damage" stabilized, thus attracting a new wave of land development people. Rokugame became the main hub for the Japanese police and various employees to enter and exit the mountains and forests. This mobile population brought business opportunities for lodging and transportation. A Japanese-style hotel like Ikeda House was completed and opened in about Showa 4 (1929), and the owner was Hyōtaro Ikeda. In July of the 9th year of Showa (1934), Hyotaro Ikeda unfortunately passed away, and Ikeda House was taken over by his daughter Miyo Ikeda and son-in-law Akimi Ikeda. After the Second World War, Miyo Ikeda and Akiyoshi Ikeda were deported to Japan. Due to unrepaid debts, the Ikeda House was taken over by the Liugui Farmers Association Credit Union. During the 35th year of the Republic of China (1946), the restaurant was rented and operated by Taiwanese. In the 42nd year of the Republic of China (1953), the Kaohsiung Passenger Transport Company leased it and later purchased it in the 50th year of the Republic of China (1961). At the same time, some buildings were demolished and the overall space function was adjusted into the Kaohsiung Passenger Transport Liugui Station. Over the next fifty years, it shouldered the responsibility of It is a transportation hub for residents in mountainous areas such as Liugui District, Maolin District, and Taoyuan District.

Suli Suli
4stars 6 months ago

The renovated Japanese-style house, the surrounding area is still clean and tidy, there are public toilets, you can enjoy the shade and shelter from the sun and rain, it is a small attraction in Liugui Old Street.

4stars 4 months ago

Liugui Old Street is sparsely populated on weekdays, and it seems that there are no crowds even on holidays, and there are not many shops on the old street.

Last Update:2022-07-14

Unfold Menu
Close Menu
Nearby Travel Info